Friday, October 31, 2008

Election Day Cloud Seeding?

I've been laying low for the past week because there isn't shit going on with regard to Colorado weather or the people who foolishly attempt to forecast it. I'm certainly not bitching though - this has to be one of the finest weeks leading up to Halloween in the last 10 years. If you care, highs have been in the mid 70s with lows in the low 40s here in the state's capital (not the fucking airport . . . I'll discuss this temperature of record being recorded at the airport thing very soon, because it drives me absolutely insane). I suppose my only beef with our local meteorologists was the forecast last Sunday (October 26). Each and every one of them claimed that a front to our north would stay there, giving us a reasonably warm day (64 degrees). Wrong. WRONG! I joined 100,000 of my closest neighbors at the Obama rally at Civic Center Park and froze my balls off. I think the actual high topped out at around 54. Not that that's a particularly cold temperature, but at 10:30AM when I arrived to the steps of the capitol, it was probably 45 degrees with some gusty winds. It chilled me to the bone . . . and that hurts.

Speaking of politics (sort of), I've heard from a source in no way related to the McCain/Palin campaign who says, on their way out of various American cities after rallies, they are seeding the clouds from their planes. Their hope, apparently, is to crank up the moisture content in the skies believing heavy rains on Tuesday will knock down voter turnout. Pretty nefarious if you ask me . . . and completely made up. Although no political tactic would shock me at this point.

Last thing on politics . . . if you, good resident of Denver, had MyFoxColorado meteorologist Chris Dunn in your "first one to suggest the weather on election day may be crappy," you go ahead and collect your prize. His "On Target" forecast claims we'll be looking at a high of 60 with the potential for rain. I'll shall monitor this prediction closely.

Anyway, happy Halloween to all. I should've gone as my hero Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel but I wasn't thinking. Next year. For sure.



I heard Sabine's dressing up like a polluted snowflake . . . but I'm sure she'll look adorable.

2 comments:

BabyWitty said...

Flip,
The Obama campaign really was on top of their game this election season. They negated any chance of cloud seeding making an impact on this election by successfully encouraging over half of eligible voters to vote before election day. Maybe the cloud seeding theory is the work of the liberal media, as there were barely any clouds on election day.

I do have concerns about the day after election day forecast. The projected high of 45 degrees was passed by a degree at 12:30 pm MST. Years of living on Earth tells me the temperature is not done rising. More importantly, the trace of precipitation had ceased by 7am. I had prepared myself for a rain/snow mix on my morning commute by going to bed early and abstaining from alcohol on such an historic night.

Flip Washington said...

@babywitty - Let this be a lesson . . . it's very important to always stay up late and drink during any national election. It's the only way to properly mend your mind, win or lose, after the strain it's placed under leading up to the election. The round-the-clock media attention, attack ads, mudslinging, repetitive stump speeches, lies and other bullshit takes its toll. And, sadly, I missed the post election forecast because I was too focused on the election itself. But I can report that it rained at a moderate to heavy pace for about seven minutes starting at 1:36AM.